Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Think I Am Going to Move


It seems like most of my free time is spent inside the children's hospital.  I have decided that I should move in there in order to save myself the trips.  We spent pretty all of yesterday at Children's for his clinic and the SBHASA AGM meeting, and we seem to be there at least 1-2 times a week.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love children's and everyone there, I'm just tired of it.  I often wonder what I am going to do with all my free time with our next child.  Sterling is so much work and time, not that I mind but I think it is going to be weird when we have our next one.  I didn't really get to see Sterling when he was born.  There were about 15 doctors and nurses in the room for my c-section so they didn't stop to show me him after he was born.  I only saw one eye and his ear as they were rolling him to NICU.  Then I saw him for 2 minutes hours later when they were about to take him to children's.  I am also not quite sure what I am going to do when I go back to work in 4 months.  Yikes, only 4 months left of mat leave, scary....I was just beginning to enjoy it and finally get a few minutes to myself each day.  If I take off all of Sterling's appointments I will never get any vacation time but I really like how informative the appointments all seem to be.  


The SBHASA AGM was really interesting to go to.  Sterling's PT and OT went to a world conference in Florida and they heard about all the new research and studies currently going on.  So fingers crossed that some of these studies make it past the research stage.  They are currently doing a study where they attach a nerve above their lesion to their bladder (All the nerves below the lesion do not grow properly because the spinal fluid was unable to get to these nerves...so they do not function below the level of their lesion).  At any rate most kids with Spina Bifida need a catheter to go to the bathroom because their nerves aren't developed correctly.  Lucky for us Sterling doesn't need a catheter, just makes things easier.  BUt in this study the nerve seems to regenerate the bladder control and these kids can now have the feeling to go to the bathroom properly.  But, still a study and not totally having complete desired results.  They are also doing some more studies with pre-natal surgeries.  They are trying to fix the lesions before they are born in hopes that this lessen effects of this defect.  Pretty interesting stuff going on in the world of medicine.  I must say I was kind of ignorant to alot of things until I had Sterling.  I didn't even know what Spina Bifida was when they told me at my 18 week ultrasound.  I am pretty committed to educating everyone that I know about it and how to prevent it.  SOOOOO....anyone who is trying to get pregnant.  MAKE SURE YOU ARE TAKING ENOUGH FOLIC ACID, before you are pregnant and even if you aren't trying.  50% of pregnancies are unplanned.  That's right 50%, I am a testament to that one.  But you can also just have a run of bad luck, I was on prenatal vitamins and it isn't genetic in my case so they were perplexed why I would have a child with SB.


So it was finally nice enough to go running outside again.  I attempted to go on a nice long jog to try and train for my 10km run in a month and a half but I had a cranky baby on my hands.  As soon as I started jogging my baby went ape and screamed for 20 minutes straight.  I finally headed back home because I couldn't handle all these people looking at me like I was the devil incarnate.  Wouldn't you know it, the second I hit the pavement in front of my house Sterling was fast asleep.  Then when Trevor got home from school I decided I needed to make up for my lack of exercise, so we went out for a walk on the bow river pathway.  Sterling usually loves walks but he cried pretty most of the time again.  He is determined to keep me unfit.  So I am determined to make the most of this week and try it again tomorrow.  I am really hoping that one day I will like running and that it will be a nice release.  But it just seems to be more painful than pleasant. Wow, was anyone as excited about today as I was?!?  I love being outside and I am pretty much outside everyday as soon as it get to be 5 degrees or warmer.  I can't wait, going to be a good summer.  We are planning on going hiking in the mountains once a week and it really needs to get warm.  


Hurm...Seems I must be really bored tonight.  I just wrote a novel. 
-Alauna

1 comment:

  1. How interesting... I love hearing all of the updates and your 'novels' are also educational! I hope everything is going well, your son is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete