Saturday, May 2, 2009

Disappointing

We went to the Cerebral Palsy Expo today but it was pretty disappointing.  The workers at the hospital told us about this expo that they have every year that showcases wheelchairs and a lot of cool adaptive things for kids with Cerebral Palsy.  The Spina Bifida Association doesn't have anything like that so we the hospital workers told us that this would be good to check out.  There were 4 vendors there for adaptive goodies but most of the things weren't really pertinent to kids with Spina Bifida.  The wheelchairs were completely different than the type Sterling is going to get and the cool toys and things weren't really compatible with him either.  There were a bunch of camps and things like that for kids with disabilities but he is still too young for any of those.  So we went across the city for pretty much nothing but Olive Garden.  I really wish they would open more of those in this city.  We always have to wait for a table.  I did however see this is person (I have been wanting to see one of these in person for a while):
This is a dynamic stander and they run about $2000-$3000 depending on size xs - xl.  Sitting all the time makes all our internal organs not function properly and causes serious damage.  This is a sweet wheelchair that I really want to buy for Sterls in every size.  I have a health spending account from my office that gives us $4000 a year in extra expenses that the health care system doesn't pay for.  Considering my health care is amazing we have never had to use this for anything until this little device, we will be able to swing it.  I am pretty stoked for it!!!   The government does not supplement these which is really disappointing but I really can't complain.  If I lived in the States I wouldn't get most of what I get paid for here.  Two of Sterling Neurosurgeons worked in the U.S. and they told me that if I lived there, Sterlings' life time medical expense to us personally (with good health care) would be about $500,000 or way more depending on severity.  So you can imagine what a benefit living here allows us as we have not paid a cent minus parking.  That is my cool device of the day...I was sad that I didn't get to see an adaptive bike though.  If anyone oddly knows of where to find them give us a shout!!!  Anyways, the laundry is calling to me....out!
-Alauna

No comments:

Post a Comment